Monday, December 22, 2014

Philippians 1

     In my last post, I mentioned how God placed upon my heart to read Philippians. I listen to Him and I did. I keep reading the entire book over and over again because I am learning so much from it. I want to post about each of the chapters because there are certain points that stick out to me.
     In the beginning verses, Paul discusses how he is so thankful for those who are filled with the spirit of Christ. He expresses that through his imprisonment he still rejoices because the Lord lives within him. There was a clear purpose for Paul to be imprisoned as he was. Paul states the purpose of the flesh body is to witness to other people. Once Paul belonged to God, he was no longer living for his gain, but now for God's. Paul states that he has a choice to either be in the flesh or with Christ and his desire is to be with Christ because that is far better. However, he remains in the flesh for the purpose of the others and to help them grow in their faith. Since Jesus Christ lives within him, he lives in one spirit with God. Everything he does is according to God's will, not Paul's own selfish desires. He even mentions that we ought to suffer for the Lord's sake because this life is about Him not us.
     Reading this made me reflect on my role in belonging to the Lord. Every single person has selfish desires. It is inevitable to have them. When I am in a situation that I want the result to end in my favor, I need to think about my purpose for being here. As a Christian, I sacrificed my life so that it was no longer about me but about Him. For me to have selfish desires is pointless because I am not here in the flesh to do what I want to do. I am His and anything the Lord asks of me I shall do with joy. While He does have a plan for me, I am here to carry out His plan. Whatever pain I endure on this earth is tolerable only through Him, because I should suffer just as His son suffered on the cross for me.
     At the end of the day, I have accepted the trials Jesus will put me through. I know that living in one spirit with Him, I am able to conquer anything. While I can beg Him for my desires, I should be satisfied with whatever He has planned for me. I am not here to selfishly wallow through my troubles; I am here to serve the Lord and add to His kingdom. Christ carries out His purpose through living in me.



No comments:

Post a Comment